Sunday, April 15, 2007

Of course

I had to comment on the whole Imus scandal, especially after it started turning into just what I wanted it to turn into. Last night as I casually walked by a waiting-room television, I noticed the topic of discussion on the news was Imus' racist/sexist comment and the connection to the way women are degraded in hip-hop music and videos. The topic of sexism in hip-hop subsequently arose twice again during my day... as in, people are now actually talking about this problem on a large scale! And that is very good. I just read a great article about Barack Obama's reaction to the Imus comment, and I think it relates very much to this blog.

"I do think we've seen a coarsening of the culture," Obama said in an interview with The Associated Press after the town hall meeting. As a constitutional lawyer, Obama said he was a free speech advocate. "But just because you can say something doesn't mean you should say something," he said. "And I think that we have not talked enough about the harmful images and messages that are sent."


No comments: