Wednesday, April 4, 2007

It's endless

In the past, I have posted a number of advertisements in which dead women or women in peril are used to sell something. Unfortunately, I keep coming across ads like this, in which a woman has been hurt or is about to be hurt. It's presented as something sexy, and/or it's presented as something humorous. Of course, it is never presented as something serious, as something worthy of empathy or concern.















The "woman" in the above ad is merely part of a woman. It is half of a body with no face and no personality characteristics, none of the things that represent what a real woman is. Therefore, the image turns a woman's body into an object, a commodity.
































I've saved the worst for last, and it is a still photo from what I believe was an Australian television spot for Foster's beer.














This was a commercial in which men had to come up with creative ways to keep their beer in the shade. What can I even say about this one? This is up there with the D & G ad in terms of how offensive I think it is, mainly because of the look on this girl's face. In the other ads, the women are smiling...or they don't have heads. Well, I'm not sure those options are much better. Anyway, here is some more information on the ad.

No comments: